Monday, January 16, 2012

Problem Solving

Since we finally had our first lasting snowfall a few days ago, my kids and I have gone sledding a few times. I'm not a fan of winter at all, but I do enjoy seeing how much fun my kids have playing in the snow, so I endure the cold.

Normally when we get back in from sledding everyone just throws their wet gloves and mittens in a pile. Then the next time we go to grab a  pair they are still wet, yuck! In previous homes I've lived in we would put the wet gloves in front of the vent, but in the apartment that I live in now there aren't vents. My apartment is heated by a heater built in the wall. I had to come up with a different solution. After brainstorming a little bit I came up with an idea for a drying system to hang on my in wall heater.

It was really easy to put together and I only spent about $5 in supplies that I got in the lighting section at a local hardware store. I bought a 5 foot pull chain(I wanted something metal as my heater gets pretty warm), a pack of beaded chain connectors and a pack of clothes pins. Then I got to work.

First I hung the pull chain from my heater near the top, so that the chain hung down the front of the heater.

Then I cut off about 1 1/2 feet of chain off of the bottom to make it the correct length, also I needed the chain to attach the clothes pins. I then cut 6-1 1/2" pieces from the extra chain.

Now it was time to get out the power tools. I used a dremel tool for this part, but a drill would work just fine too. I took the connectors and drilled a hole in the middle that was just big enough for the chain to slide through.

Now that I had everything ready it was time for assembly. I took one of the small pieces of chain that I cut earlier and put one end into the connector.

Next I slid the chain through the metal part of the clothes pin.

Then I connected the other end of the chain to the connector, so that the chain created a loop through the clothes pin.

Finally I took the chain that I had hanging on my heater and slid it through the hole that I had drilled in the connector.

I did this with 6 clothes pins and spaced them out on the chain and was ready to dry some mittens!

Now we will no longer have to deal with wet gloves, as long as my kids hang them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment