Saturday, January 14, 2012

Stitching Away

I've been using the same purse for quite some time now. Every once in a while I would pull a different one out of the closet for a special event or something of the sort, but my everyday purse was getting a little boring. That started my online quest for a cute new purse, well I guess I should say a pattern for a cute new purse. Then stumbled upon this great blog post. It was a very easy to follow tutorial for making a super fun purse. It was just what I was looking for. So I decided to dive in head first.

I printed out the one pattern piece required for the purse and then I was off to Hobby Lobby to find the perfect fabric. I had absolutely no idea what kind of fabric I was going to use, but I knew the perfect one would jump out at me. After wandering around with one bolt of fabric, only to put it back and grab another one for almost a half hour finally, there it was. Screaming at me was a bolt of rusty, maroonish colored faux suede. It was perfect! So after grabbing another fabric for the lining and some thread I was off to the races.

The only issue I really had with the whole thing is that I don't own a serger. It wasn't really that big of a deal, it just meant that I had to fold under 1/4" twice and sew the edges for all of the ruffles. It took a little extra time, but it was definitely worth it.The most difficult part of the process was sewing on the pleats and ruffles and it really wasn't that difficult. After that the rest was just basic purse construction.

All in all I am super satisfied with the end result.

Here is a link to the tutorial so that you too can make this awesome purse!http://www.theboytrifecta.com/2010/10/grandview-bag-formerly-known-as-anthro.html

No comments:

Post a Comment